Top Ten Books Tackling Tough Issues

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's top ten list features books that tackle tough issues. My top ten are:

  1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - rape, depression  
    Amazon | Goodreads
  2. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - suicide  
    Amazon | Goodreads
  3. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - race, poverty, alcoholism, bullying  
    Amazon | Goodreads
  4. I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg - schizophrenia  
    Amazon | Goodreads
  5. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma - incest  
    My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  6. Stay by Deb Caletti - emotional abuse  
    My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  7. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott - child abduction, pedophilia, sexual abuse  
    My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  8. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson - eating disorders, cutting  
    Amazon | Goodreads
  9. Crank by Ellen Hopkins - drug addiction  
    Amazon | Goodreads
  10. Willow by Julia Hoban - cutting  
    Amazon | Goodreads
I tried to choose books that cover a variety of difficult topics. Obviously there are a lot more books than this that tackle the tough stuff and do it brilliantly. What are some that you think do so particularly well?

9 comments:

  1. We would also include The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, which is a beeeeautiful and hilarious book about a girl trying to cope with her sister's death. You wouldn't think an issues book could make you smile, but this one definitely does.

    Also, Hold Still by Nina LaCour. More serious than The Sky Is Everywhere, but also lovely. It's about a girl trying to cope with her best friend's suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speak, 13 Reasons Why, and Forbidden are making many lists today! I've read all 3 of those! I've also read Stay and LOVED that one as well! I really need to read Living Dead Girl, I had no clue it was about all of that! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many serious books! I included Speak, Wintergirls, and Crank on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome choices! A lot of people have neglected mental illness or self-mutilation so I'm really glad you included them on yours.

    Here's my list: http://bit.ly/qJiozA

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems we have some similar tastes. I love that you included I Never Promised You A Rose Garden. I agree with Laura that mental illness and self-mutilation are often forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am intrigued by your #4 going to look into it.

    My Top Ten

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-books-that-tackle-tough-issues.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've have also seen a few of your choices on other bloggers top ten so now i will include Wintergirls on my list since i have seen it a few times.
    here is mine: http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list. We have some in common. I can't believe I forgot Living Dead Girl when I was making my list. I am a new follower.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. Very thorough. I only read Speak though.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Please leave a comment!

If you like this post, then please subscribe to the RSS feed!