Suggested Reading: Girls Disguised as Boys

I am often asked for suggestions or recommendations of books containing particular themes, styles, settings, etc. So rather than looking through books and making lists for one person at a time, I decided to start featuring these suggestions in blog posts. Much more efficient, right? And perhaps it will encourage some people to try new things or to further explore some of the areas of literature that they've enjoyed in the past.

This time I'm featuring books in which girls disguise themselves as boys, usually in order to be able to do things that only boys are supposed to be allowed to do, but sometimes for other reasons. This often leads to risky, awkward, and amusing situations, which I adore.

Some of these I've read and liked, and some are in my bookshelf or on my to-read list. I've provided links to Amazon and Goodreads for easy wish listing. There are also links to my reviews for the ones that I've reviewed on the blog.

Alanna by Tamora Pierce (Song of the Lioness Quartet)   Amazon | Goodreads
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Leviathan Trilogy)   Amazon | Goodreads
Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer   Amazon | Goodreads
Eon by Alison Goodman   Amazon | Goodreads

Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness) Leviathan Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack Adventures) Eon

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman   Amazon | Goodreads | My Review
The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted   Amazon | Goodreads
Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner   Amazon | Goodreads
Sovay by Celia Rees   Amazon | Goodreads

Babe in Boyland The Education of Bet Nobody's Princess (Princesses of Myth) Sovay

Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare   Amazon | Goodreads
The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare   Amazon | Goodreads
As You Like It by William Shakespeare   Amazon | Goodreads

Twelfth Night (Folger Shakespeare Library) The Merchant of Venice (Folger Shakespeare Library) As You Like It (Folger Shakespeare Library)

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire)   Amazon | Goodreads
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings)   Amazon | Goodreads

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition

If you've read some of these, comment with whether or not you liked them! And if you see anything on this list that you will be adding to your to-read list, or know some other books in which girls disguise themselves as boys that you'd like to suggest, share that as well.

If you would like to see suggestions for a particular genre or theme, e-mail me with your request(s) and I'll do what I can to create a list!

3 comments:

  1. Great list of books! I have Babe in Boyland on my shelf, and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Tamora Pierce and especially love these kinds of books... so many more to read now! I definitely recommend to anyone to read the Song of the Lioness quartet (and all the other lovely books the same universe!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one I've read are the Shakespeare and Return of the King, but I think this is such a fun topic!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Please leave a comment!

If you like this post, then please subscribe to the RSS feed!