Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Publication Date: October 19, 2010
Series: Nightshade #1
Links: Amazon | Goodreads
Source: Won
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers.

But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything - including her own life.  Is a forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
I was unsure about how much I would like this book because of all of the hype surrounding its release.  I didn't want to get my expectations up too high. But the book did not disappoint. I loved Cremer's take on 'werewolves' and her characters are strong, sympathetic, and complex. 

Calla is a realistic and admirable female protagonist who embodies the struggle of even the strongest of females in a man's world, which is encouraging to see in literature for young women. Her setting is extremely patriarchal, and the reader witnesses Calla's struggle with acceptance and rebellion with regards to the patriarchy displayed by her own kind, as well as the hierarchy presented by the Keepers mastery over the Guardians.

The supporting characters are multifaceted and it is not always easy to determine their motivations, which helps to keep readers on their toes. Even though the book is from Calla's point of view, one can see that all of the other characters may not be exactly what they appear to be on the surface and require a deeper look than what you originally get from Calla's perspective.

I thought the plot was original and the pacing and action kept me hooked. I finished it in one day and can't wait for more. Nightshade is one of the best paranormal books that I have read.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this one, too. It was a fast read, and I really liked the "rules" that Cremer set up for her werewolves.

    The real question is: after reading the book are you Team Ren? Or Team Shay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. TEAM SHAY!!!!
    I didn't even know there was a team Ren until I saw all the bloggy sites, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaaay! Glad to hear that you liked this one, Jenny. I'm kind of worried about reading it (it's STILL sitting on my shelf) because of all of the hype. Plus, it's all about werewolves, which I've never been a huge fan of. BUT. Since the world is so unique, I'm more than willing to give a chance. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Please leave a comment!

If you like this post, then please subscribe to the RSS feed!